‘Our Creative Capacity’
Last week the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs and the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science published a memorandum on creative industries in The Netherlands. The memorandum is titled ‘Ons Creatief Vermogen’ (something like ‘Our Creative Capacity’) and lists a number of policy measures that will be taken to strengthen the creative industries. A total amount of 15 million euros has been put aside for those measures. The memorandum is the first step towards a more structural approach to creative industries.
- The Creative Challenge Call. Creative industries enterprises can send in project proposals aimed at sharing and exchanging knowledge. A total budget of 8 million euros is available for 2006.
- 1,4 Million euros have been reserved for a new office that will stimulate and guide entrepreneurs that like to invest in the cultural sector.
- Existing regulations (in the sphere of economic affairs) will be simplified to improve financial conditions for creative start-ups and creative SME’s. The ministries have agreed to make 3,2 million euros available for this operation.
- The protection of intellectual property will be improved. The ministries will also support Creative Commons The Netherlands.
- The government will try to strengthen the international position of Dutch creative industries.
- Cultural entrepreneurship will become a structural element of the curriculum of students in art schools. 600.000 Euros have been reserved.